One thing stands out in a crowded applicant pool: spelling and grammar mistakes.
If you submit a resume and cover letter with spelling and grammar mistakes, the recruiter or HR person will toss your materials out. Here’s why:
These mistakes show:
- Lack of attention to detail
- Disregard for the simple correction tools available in software
- Lack of professionalism
- Disrespect for the importance of the job
How many jobs want people to be careful, detail-oriented, up on the latest technology and software, professional, respectful, and really eager to do a great job because the position is vital to the company? Let’s say…ALL OF THEM!
So make sure your cover letter and resume are PERFECT before you send them out.
- USE SPELL CHECK! And grammar check.
- Have someone else proofread it for grammar & spelling.
It doesn’t matter that you won’t have to do a lot of writing in the job. Writing is not the point. The point is the caliber of candidate you show yourself to be. Be the best!